°
Newark

The UN security Council rejected the US resolution on extension of the arms embargo against Iran

The UN security Council rejected the American draft resolution on the extension of the arms embargo against Iran, said U.S. Secretary of state Mike Pompeo.

As reported by the Chairperson of the security Council the permanent representative of Indonesia to the UN Dian Triansyah Jani, voted for the resolution, only two countries - the United States and the Dominican Republic. Russia and China voted against, the remaining 11 security Council members abstained.

Pompeo, commenting on the results of the vote, said that the UN security Council "has failed to remain committed to its fundamental mission" to maintain peace and security.

The head of the state Department accused the UN security Council in an "inability to act decisively in the interest of protecting international peace and stability."

Pompeo also promised to continue working to prevent the "theocratic regime" to freely sell and buy weapons that "threatens the heart of Europe, the Middle East and the world in General."

According to the agreements in the framework of the Joint comprehensive plan of action (SVPD), permits the supply to Iran of weapons is temporary and will expire on October 18. The United States insists on extending the embargo.

Rejected the draft resolution proposed to the UN security Council to adopt a decision, according to which some provisions of the previous resolution 2231 (regulate the establishment of SVPD) regardless of their validity "will continue to apply until the security Council decides otherwise."

These provisions concern the introduction of a licensing procedure for the supply of military equipment to Iran. In particular, it was assumed that only with the approval of the UN security Council Iran could supply, or transfer of any tanks, armoured combat vehicles, artillery systems of the big calibre, warplanes and helicopters, warships, missiles or missile systems or related materiel, including spare parts.

Rejected the resolution also proposed to make a perpetual (until the security Council decides otherwise) a provision requiring countries to impose restrictions on entry for persons who have violated regulations relating to the export of arms to Iran.

The Minister of foreign Affairs of Russia Sergey Lavrov has previously stressed the lack of objective grounds to raise the question of the arms embargo against Iran. He pointed out that "the licensing order supplies" to Iran of military equipment were of a temporary nature - it was made to run achieved in 2015, arrangements that it is now irrelevant. As noted by the Minister, the application of restrictions on arms supplies to Iran after 18 October 2020 "was never intended, and there is no legal or other reason to reconsider this understanding."

Iran and the six international negotiators in July 2015 have reached a historic agreement on the settlement of the longstanding problem of the Iranian atom. Months of negotiations concluded with the adoption of a joint comprehensive plan of action (SVPD), which is completely removed from Iran's previously imposed economic and financial sanctions by the UN security Council, US and EU. The agreement in particular provided that the arms embargo would be withdrawn from Iran within five years, the supply of arms possible before, but only with the permission of the UN security Council. The deal in its original form lived for three years: in may 2018, the United States announced its unilateral withdrawal from her and the restoration of tougher sanctions against Tehran.