°
Madrid

The Prime Minister of Italy proposed to extend the state of emergency until October

The Prime Minister of Italy, Giuseppe Conte suggested the national Parliament to extend until October a state of emergency in the country in connection with the pandemic COVID-19.

The decision on the introduction of a six months emergency regime in order to combat the spread of coronavirus, the Council of Ministers of Italy adopted on 31 January after the detection of the first cases of the disease among foreign tourists in the national territory.

"This morning at the meeting of the Council of Ministers we have heard information on this topic, but didn't make any decision. After studying all the guidelines and opinions, revealed the understanding that it is necessary to limit temporary extension (emergency mode) until October," said Conte, speaking on Tuesday evening in the Senate of the Republic.

According to Conte, the extension of state of emergency is necessary primarily because the data of the Scientific-technical Committee established by the Italian government, "show that the virus continues to circulate in the country." "Still worrisome and the international situation and what's happening in some of the neighbouring countries," he added.

At the same time, Conte said that he had no "intention to dramatize the situation or to fuel unjustified fears among the population". He explained that without the extension of state of emergency will lapse a current government Directive that contain the spread of coronavirus in fact be impossible.

Conte stressed that despite the absence of provisions obliging the Council of Ministers to agree on the extension of state of emergency by Parliament, he finds it necessary to share the responsibility for this important decision with the Supreme legislative body of the country. "My presence here shows the maximum willingness of the government to talk to Parliament and to take into account the instructions of his chambers on the question of the extension", - said the Prime Minister.

When emergency mode all key decisions related to controlling the spread of coronavirus and overcoming the consequences of the pandemic are taken by the government of Italy without the approval of Parliament. For this reason, the parliamentary opposition parties have repeatedly opposed the extension of emergency.

Since March 10, the quarantine measures imposed earlier in the Northern regions of the country, were distributed throughout the national territory. On may 4, the Italian authorities announced the beginning of the so-called "phase 2", in which he resumed the work of construction and industrial enterprises and establishments of wholesale trade. The eighteenth of may, the restrictive measures in the Apennines was much weakened: opened retail stores, Barber shops, beauty salons, restaurants, bars, many museums and cultural institutions. From 3 June Italy entered into "phase 3", which was marked by the restoration of the regime of free movement throughout the national territory and the opening of borders for citizens of other EU countries and the UK.

As of Monday, the total number of cases of infection with a new type of coronavirus in the Apennines exceeded 246 thousand, over 198 thousand patients have recovered, the victims were 35 123 people. In July, the number of new infections in Italy is at the level of 200-300 cases a day. Hospitals now have a little over 700 infected patients, and in intensive care units - a total of 45 people. In General, the number of cases and victims per day corresponds to the level of the initial period of the epidemic (end of February – beginning of March).

Recent data on the situation of COVID-19 in Russia and the world presented on the portal stopmanager.of the Russian Federation.