China urged the U.S. to respond to Russia's proposals on extending the start-3
China urges U.S. to respond to the proposals of the Russian Federation on extension of the Treaty on the reduction of strategic offensive arms (start-3), said at a briefing on Friday, foreign Ministry spokesman of China, Zhao Lijiang.
"We urge the U.S. to respond to Russia's call for the extension of the start-3 Treaty and further reduce their considerable nuclear Arsenal to create the conditions for the participation of other nuclear-weapon States in negotiations on nuclear disarmament", - said the diplomat.
Earlier, the state Department announced that the U.S. welcomes China willingness to negotiate on arms control and invited the Chinese delegation to the talks with Russia in Vienna on this issue. He noted that the United States also recommend China as soon as possible to meet with Russia to consider further steps for tripartite talks on arms control.
In turn, earlier this week, the Director of the Department of arms control of Chinese foreign Ministry Fu Cong said that China is ready to join trilateral talks on disarmament with the United States and Russia if the US agrees to reduce its nuclear Arsenal to China's level.
Russia and the United States in June held in Vienna meeting on arms control and the ABM Treaty. A second meeting is scheduled in the same place, roughly at the end of July – early August.
The contract on reduction of strategic offensive arms (start-3) signed on in 2010, remains the only current agreement between Russia and the USA on the limitation of armaments. The agreement expires in February 2021, while Washington has not announced any plans to renew it. The US administration at different levels emphasizes the need for the inclusion of China in the negotiation of a new trilateral nuclear agreement between Russia, China and the United States. In Beijing, this idea is rejected. The Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Russia supports the extension of the contract about SNV-3 without preconditions.