°
Ashburn

In the US, commented on the withdrawal of Russia from the mechanism deconflicting in Syria

USA shocked by the fact that Russia has decided to stop participating in the mechanism deconflicting in the framework of the UN in Syria, said at a UN security Council meeting the US Ambassador at the organization's Kelly Kraft.

As stated earlier zamgenseka UN for humanitarian Affairs mark Lowcock, Russia informed the UN on 23 June that no longer participates in the mechanism of notification about the humanitarian objects and movements in Syria.

"We understand that Russia has destroyed its mechanism deconflicting with the United Nations, putting at risk millions of lives in North-West Syria and creating an obstacle to the delivery of UN assistance in this area," said Kraft.

In her view, Russia's decision is unacceptable and developed with the purpose to erect new barriers for the delivery of humanitarian assistance.

"We are shocked that Russia has taken such a dangerous step," said Kraft.

Earlier, Russia has repeatedly criticized this mechanism. In particular, Russia's permanent representative to the UN, Vasily Nebenzia said that the mechanism deconflicting in Syria not only has flaws, but is also used for disinformation. In particular, he noted that often the objects that were determined as a humanitarian (i.e. were included in the list deconflicting), was actually used by terrorists. In addition, the sebenza pointed out the discrepancy between the coordinates specified by the UN, and objects that would be placed at those coordinates.

In this context, he mentioned about the creation last fall of the UN Commission on investigation of attacks on civilian infrastructure in the North-West of Syria. Then the Western countries in the security Council accused Russia and the Syrian government in airstrikes on civilian infrastructure. Russia denies the accusations.

He recalled that on September 16, 2019 presented at a press conference photographic evidence proving the falsity of accusations against Russia, but the information was ignored, "because the political order to exert pressure on Russia must be fulfilled."

According to him, the defense Ministry conducted its own investigation and the information received confirms that a number of objects referred to investigation Commission, not exposed to air or artillery strikes.

In September, UN Secretary-General antónio Guterres has announced the composition of the Commission for investigation of air attacks on civilian infrastructure in the North-West of Syria. A request for such investigation has previously sent 10 countries in the UN Security Council (Britain, France, USA, Germany, Belgium, Peru, Poland, Kuwait, Dominican Republic, Indonesia). The Commission was created after a number of Western countries blamed the Syrian government and the Russian military attacks on hospitals in Idlib. Moscow denies the accusations.

The Commission has not worked in Syria and are unable to visit the places of incidents, as not received visas from the Syrian government. In the Commission's report, according to the Secretary General, provides expertise in six facilities in North-West Syria. As pointed out by Guterres in his letter to the President of the security Council, the Commission is not a judicial body or court, it does not make legal findings or consider questions of legal liability.