The European military was unable to inspect the ship heading to Libya
European military involved in the operation IRINI for the implementation of the arms embargo against Libya, are unable to inspect on their way to the West of the country the ship because of the refusal to allow inspection, said at a press conference in Brussels the European Commission spokesman Peter Stano.
"Since the beginning of the operation, IRINI inspected 75 of the courts in this area, it is included in the mandate of the operation. On Wednesday, the operation was conducted in an attempt to conduct an inspection of a cargo ship, but had not received a positive response, we find out the circumstances of the incident," - said Stano.
Earlier, media reported that we are talking about the Turkish ship that may have weapons and ammunition. Sky News Arabia said that the ship was sailing to a port in Western Libya. This region is controlled by the Government of national consent headed by Fitom Barragem, which is actively supported by Ankara.
As explained by the representative of the EU IRINI operation is carried out in accordance with the UN resolution 2526, adopted last week by the security Council. "This operation is designed to control the embargo on arms supplies to Libya, about all incidents in the course of inspections are reported to the group of UN experts," - said Stano.
Earlier, the EU reported that the European military during one of the inspections failed to prevent the smuggling of oil from Libya.
The European Union on 31 March announced that it is launching a new naval mission IRINI control over compliance with the UN embargo on arms supplies to Libya. According to the EU statement, the new military mission to focus on preventing the smuggling of weapons to Libya by sea. For the tracing of illicit weapons across land borders and by air, the EU uses satellites and aircraft observations. The mandate of the mission IRINI will run until 31 March 2021.
In Libya, the confrontation between the national consensus Government (NTC) Fayeza Zarraga, which controls Tripoli and areas to the West of the country, and the Libyan national army under the command of Khalifa the Haftarot, more than a year trying to recapture the capital. Both sides claim that opponents are using weapons and manpower from the outside. In recent weeks, the NTC forces have reported significant progress in the battle for Tripoli and announced the intention to build on the success, to establish control over the city of Sirte and other areas to the East of the capital.
According to the UN, this week, the warring sides resumed consultations on the ceasefire in the framework of the joint military Commission.