°
Newark

Lebanese Prime Minister assessed the situation in the country

Lebanon stopped trying to incite conflict on religious grounds, plans to plunge the country into civil strife still valid, said Prime Minister Hassan Diyab.

In the heart of Beirut June 6, held mass demonstration against the economic policies of the state and the deterioration of living conditions of the population amid soaring prices and the financial crisis. The protest escalated into riots and clashes with police. Later appeared the video, where a group of people shouting insults to the Shiite and Christian faiths, which led to clashes with the use of weapons in different parts of the Lebanese capital. The situation was stabilized after the intervention of the army.

"Lebanon has experienced a dangerous moment in the end of last week and overcame attempts to incite inter-religious conflict. I warned about the plans of bloodshed and the use of the provision in the policy," said Diyab after a government meeting on Wednesday.

The Prime Minister stressed that the idea to plunge Lebanon into civil strife still relevant. "I assure you that Israel wants to spark conflict in Lebanon to cover up their ambition for the annexation of the East coast. Therefore, I urge the highest caution and awareness to prevent the Israeli plans," he said.

According to GIABA, the opponents of the current Lebanese government continue to attempt to discredit him and be held accountable for all errors and crimes of the authorities over the past decade, which led the country to economic and financial crisis.

Demonstrations in Lebanon's capital resumed after the call a few parties and popular movements to continue the "Rebellion of October 17". Some of the protesters were made with slogans on disarmament of the movement "Hezbollah", which, in turn, has caused resentment of the Shiite population, whose representatives also arrived in Beirut city center, opposing the politically-minded demonstrators.

The unrest began in Lebanon since October 17, 2019. Then hundreds of thousands of people across the country staged anti-government demonstrations with the requirement to conduct efficient economic reforms, to prosecute politicians involved in corruption and return stolen from the state budget funds. In November, against the backdrop of unrest, he resigned the government of Saad Hariri. In late January, the President approved a Cabinet of Ministers headed Debom, but the mass demonstrations in the country have not stopped. The streets of the Lebanese cities subsided only with the advent of the threat of the spread of coronavirus and the introduction of the regime in the country "civil mobilization". However, in April in Tripoli, Beirut and Saida, the people again came to the demonstration, which escalated into mass riots with arson of banks and clashes with the army and police. The population has partially calmed down after the announcement by the government DeBa on the adopted anti-crisis plan to stabilize the economy in the country.