°
Ashburn

Latest News - #Yemen

Riyadh expects to return power to the South Yemen government

Saudi Arabia proposed an initiative for reconciliation of the Central government of Yemen and separatists from the Transitional Council of South Yemen will allow the Central government to regain power in the capital of southern Yemen, Aden, said the foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia Faisal bin Farhan.

Early Wednesday, the Saudi authorities declared that they managed to convince the government of Yemen and the separatists, who seized power in Aden, which was announced by the authorities the temporary capital after the capture of Sana'a by Houthi rebels, go for the continuation of the truce and the formation of a new government with the participation of candidates from the South and the North. After that, the separatists abandoned their declared earlier in the southern provinces self-government.

The expert assessed the situation in Yemen after the agreement in Riyadh

Established in Yemen after Saudi Arabia put forward an initiative for reconciliation of the separatists in the South and the Central government the situation is unstable and could collapse as easily as in the past year because the parties have not resolved important questions of principle, says researcher of the Centre for Arab and Islamic studies, Institute of Oriental studies, an expert of the Russian Council for international Affairs Grigoriy Lukyanov.

Previously the foreign Ministry of Saudi Arabia announced that the separatists in southern Yemen and the Central government agreed to the proposed Kingdom new implementation mechanism signed in November last year, the Riyadh agreement, which provides for the establishment of a new government with candidates from the South and the North within 30 days. Separatists from the Transitional Council of South Yemen on Wednesday announced the rejection of imposed authorities in seven southern provinces of Yemen in response to the initiative of Saudi Arabia.

Government and the separatists of South Yemen agreed to create a new government

The Central government of Yemen and the separatists from the Transitional Council of South Yemen agreed on the urgent initiative of Saudi Arabia to resolve the conflict between the two, which includes the establishment of the new government of Yemen with candidates separatists within 30 days and the withdrawal of separatist forces from the city of Aden, the statement of the representative of the foreign Ministry of the Kingdom the social network Twitter.

In addition, the initiative includes the withdrawal of troops from Aden outside the province, as well as the delineation of power between the two parties in the province of Abyan and returning them to their former positions.

The separatists South of Yemen announced the refusal from authorities

Separatists from the Transitional Council of South Yemen on Wednesday announced the rejection of imposed authorities in seven southern provinces of Yemen in response to the new initiative of Saudi Arabia for their reconciliation with the Central government, said the official representative of the Board Nizar Haissam in his microblog in the social network Twitter.

He expressed the desire to unite with the Central government to counter the ruling in the North, rebels from the movement "Ansar Allah" (Houthis) and the development of the southern provinces.

Yemen's President appointed a new Governor of Aden

Yemeni President Abd rabbu Mansour Hadi early Wednesday issued a decree appointing Governor of Aden, one of the leaders of the Transitional Council of the separatist South Yemen Ahmed Hamid Lemlia, said channel "al Jazeera".

The decision on the appointment of the new Governor of Aden was adopted against the background of statements by Saudi Arabia that the consent of the Council and the Central government of Yemen on the implementation of its proposed new mechanism for the implementation of the prisoner last year the Riyadh reconciliation agreement between the separatists and the authorities. This mechanism involves the formation of a new government within 30 days with the inclusion of candidates from the South and the North.

The former President of Iran urged to end the conflict in Yemen

The former President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (2005-2013) wrote a letter to the crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman, leader of the ruling in Northern Yemen Shiite movement "Ansar Allah" (Houthis) Abdel Malik al-Houthi and the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, urging to end the conflict in Yemen, writes the New York Times, citing a copy of the letter.

The publication notes that amazing the fact that Ahmadinejad wrote a letter to the crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, as Riyadh is "the most ardent opponent" of Iran in the region.

The problems of any region should be resolved through dialogue, Lavrov said

The principle of non-interference is important for the resolution of the crises in the middle East, including in Libya, said Russian foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

"We always advocate that any problems be solved through dialogue, with the involvement of all countries, through the search for balance of interests. External players should contribute to creating conditions for an inclusive dialogue and to avoid attempts to drive a wedge between the countries, to sow the seeds of confrontation in the geopolitical calculation to obtain unilateral advantages," Lavrov said at a press conference after talks with Iranian foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

At the UN predicting "terrible suffering" Yemenis in the event of a spill

The oil spill from the tanker SAFER, which is 1.1 million barrels of black gold, will result in terrible suffering for the inhabitants of Yemen, the disaster will affect 1.6 million people in the country, said the permanent under Secretary of the UN for humanitarian Affairs mark Lowcock, speaking at a meeting of the Security Council.

According to media reports, the vessel was built in Japan in the 1970s and sold to the Yemeni government in the 1980s. On the ship of length 360 m with 34 of a tank for oil storage. It is reported that the tanker was used until 2015, when Yemen started the conflict. In 2015 it is anchored in the center of the Yemeni port of RAS ISA in the Red sea.

ICRC: about 15 million Yemenis lack access to water and food

More than half of Yemen's population (15 million people) require food assistance and access to drinking water in order to survive, according to a publication of the International Committee of the red cross on Twitter.

In the publication the ICRC also says that people who do not have access to food, automatically deprived of basic medicines and water. "In Yemen, not 100 people, and 30,5 million," - noted in the message.

Pompeo said the interception of a cargo of Iranian weapons to the Houthis

The United States seized another shipment of Iranian weapons destined for Yemeni rebels, the Houthis, said the US Secretary of state Mike Pompeo.

"We prevented another shipment of arms bound to Houthis: June 28, U.S. and partner forces detained near the coast of Yemen the ship with cargo, including 200 rocket-propelled grenades, more than 1,700 Kalashnikovs, 21 missiles surface-to-air, several anti-tank missiles and other advanced weapons and missiles," said Pompeo at a press conference.

More News